THE ON-LINE MARKET IS OPEN AT AUGUSTA LOCALLY GROWN
UPCOMING LOCAL FOODS EVENTS:
CHICKEN SWAP – SATURDAY, JUNE 28
The Savannah River Grange will host a “Chicken Swap” at the Tractor Supply on Bobby Jones in Augusta this Saturday, June 28, 9am-2pm. Take advantage of this opportunity to meet other local hobby farmers who sell, buy or trade small livestock, or just learn how to get started raising your own backyard hens. The event is free to attend. To set up a booth, contact email@example.com.
MEET THE FARMER CULINARY CLASS – MONDAY, JUNE 30
Chef Charleen will host a “Meet the Farmer” cooking class, paired with wine, at the West End Market & Bakery in Harrisburg on Monday, June 30. The theme is “Summer Corn Fritters, Summer Veggie Salad, What the Heck is Okra, Fruit Dessert.” To enroll, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
VOLUNTEER WORK DAY TO CREATE A GARDEN TOOL LENDING LIBRARY & CULINARY CLASSROOM AT THE WEST END MARKET & BAKERY – MONDAY, JULY 7
On Monday, July 7, ALG will partner with the West End Market & Bakery and the Savannah River Grange to set up a Garden Tool Lending Library and Culinary Classroom in Harrisburg. The volunteer work will start at 1pm and go until 5pm. Five committed and semi-skilled volunteers are needed to paint, make shelves, and hang peg boards. Work space is limited. To thank our volunteers, we invite you to enjoy a Local Foods Cooking Class with Chef Charleen of Culinary Connections, that evening, starting at 6pm. To sign up to volunteer, contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
THE GREAT SUMMER TOMATO SANDWICH CONTEST – THURSDAY, JULY 19
Things are really starting to come together for our 1st annual “Great Summer Tomato Sandwich Contest” at the Evans Towne Farmers Market. The event will be sponsored by AgGeorgia Farm Credit with a beautiful trophy made by Handcrafted Cutting Boards of Augusta.
We already have six local chefs lined up to compete, and are looking for two more:
• Chef Christopher Byrd of “The Retreat”
• Chef Dave McCluskey of “Local Pop”
• Chef Lonnie Stephenson of “Edgar’s Grille”
• Chef Charleen Tinley of “Culinary Connections”
• Chef Kit Stiles-Williams of “Matters of the Heart”
• Chef Matthew Wallace of “A Table & A Season”
Please save this date to come to the farmers market and cheer on these chefs who are so committed to local foods! And yes, YOU get to taste the creations too!
FRIG DONATION NEEDED:
We’re looking for a donation of a working, full size refrigerator for our on-line market pick-up location downtown. If you’ve got an one extra sitting around, we’d really appreciate it, and we can certainly come get it, too. Contact email@example.com.
MARKET INTERNS AND MARKET MANAGERS:
It’s that time of year when we begin to say goodbye to some wonderful folks and start training some wonderful new ones. Here’s what’s in the works:
- Hugs to Sandi Johnson who recently transitioned from her role as ALG On-Line Downtown Market Manager to focus more on her store.
- Hugs to Meghann McElroy who recently transitioned from the ALG On-Line Riverwood Market Manager position and will fill-in at the AJCC location as needed.
- Hugs to Leslie Carson who is transitioning away from her role as Market Manager at the Evans Towne Farmers Market to focus on her soap business.
- Hugs to our interns who will soon be leaving for college: Amy’s going to the University of Puget Sound; Jackson’s going to UGA; Briaunna and Daniel are going to GRU; Aarish is going to Brown University; Tony has joined the U.S. Army and ships off in September.
- Welcome Maggie Hines who will take over as Market Manager at the Evans Towne Farmers Market and help with the Veggie Truck Farmers Market this summer.
- Welcome to new interns Russell, Erin and Hannah who have been working hard at the Evans Towne Farmers Market this summer.
- Welcome to new intern Daniel (a second Daniel!) who has been helping with the Veggie Truck Farmers Market.
- Welcome to new interns Priscilla and Adolfo who are assigned to our AJCC market pick-up location.
So so grateful to these interns who are staying on with us for the fall semester and providing some much-needed continuity and experience:
- Tabias at the ALG Downtown Market.
- Kyong at the Evans Towne Farmers Market.
- Daniel has transitioned from his long stint as “milk man” at our AJCC location to help run our ALG Downtown location.
See you all at the markets on Tuesdays and Thursdays!