THE ON-LINE MARKET IS OPEN AT AUGUSTA LOCALLY GROWN
LOCAL BULK: AN EXPERIMENT IN GROUP BUYING
This week we launch a fun, new way to purchase seasonal foods en masse. We are calling it “Local Bulk.” Think of it as crowd sourcing for farmers! Here’s how it works:
- Each “round” we will feature one crop from one farmer to sell in bulk at a super reduced price.
- This round we’re featuring Sweet Yellow Onions from East Georgia Produce.
- The farmer sets a target group sales goal. This round the goal is 100 lbs.
- The farmer sets a reduced price. Matt’s onions usually sell for $1.50/lb. He has set the bulk rate at 90 cents/lb.
- You pre-order as many shares as you like. Each share gets you 1 lb of onions for 90 cents. For example, you get 10 lbs for 9.00. Invite your friends to order shares! Invite your family members to order shares! This is a great way to introduce them to ALG … or just order for them! Whatever works.
- Here’s the thing: A total of 100 shares has to be ordered this weekend in order for the deal to go through. If 100 shares are not ordered, all shares will be cancelled.
- If the goal is met, 100 lbs of onions will be delivered in bulk on Tuesday to our market pick-up locations. A volunteer (maybe you!?) will sort, bag and distribute the onions according to the shares sold. This saves the farmer time, labels and packaging.
- Yes, this is a simple way for you to help us get more folks involved in buying local foods! Yes, this is a great way for you to bulk up on some staple items at a great price. And yes … it’s also a fun opportunity to support a farmer.
- If this goes well, we’ll feature a different farmer for every round.
Contact kim@augustalocallygrown if you’d like to be the sorting volunteer this round! Your time commitment would be 2pm-7pm, this Tuesday, June 17.
Good luck! And HAPPY BULKING!
GARDEN TOOL LENDING LIBRARY AT THE WEST END MARKET!
We are excited to partner with the West End Market & Bakery to create a “Garden Tool Lending Library!” Big hugs to Jason Wynn for donating his garden tools to get this community-sharing project started. Garden tools will be loaned free of charge, with a small refundable security deposit. Visit the West End Market & Bakery for details about borrowing. Contact email@example.com if you’d like to donate your tools to the “community shed.”
OTHER UPCOMING EVENTS:
FARM FRIDAY AT WHITE HILLS FARM – FRIDAY, JUNE 13
Every Friday is “Farm Friday” at White Hills lavender farm. Stop by this gorgeous herb farm in Dearing, GA, to experience a uniquely peaceful afternoon.
COOLER THAN A CUCUMBER SALAD KIDS COOKING CONTEST – THURSDAY, JUNE 19
We’ve got all our youth contestants, our judges, and our trophy ready for competition at the Evans Towne Farmers Market this Thursday. Now we just need to gather an enthusiastic crowd to cheer and help judge! Come watch these 8 creative young people turn regular ol’ cucumbers into culinary art. Market starts at 4:30pm; contest starts at 5pm.
MID SUMMER PICNIC AT THE VEGGIE TRUCK FARMERS MARKET – TUESDAY, JUNE 24
Celebrate summer with us at the Veggie Truck Farmers Market in Harrisburg! Music, games, cooking demo with Chef Charleen, sidewalk chalk vegetable drawing contests, blueberry bingo, food by Recovery BBQ and more! Meet folks from Wholesome Wave Georgia and other local food activists. Bring a blanket! Located at the corner of Broad & Eve streets, across from the Kroc Center in Harrisburg. Remember: we double EBT!!!!
WHAT WE’RE WORKING ON WITH LOCAL FARMERS FOR LATER THIS SUMMER AND FALL … DETAILS TBA
- A tomato sandwich adult cooking contest in July.
- A pick-you-own blueberries afternoon in July.
- A three-farm urban farm tour in Aug or Sept.
- A muscadine wine making workshop in Sept
- A hands-on beekeeping workshop in Oct.
- A road-trip to an urban farm in Atlanta in Oct.
WANT TO HELP WITH ANY OF THESE? LET US KNOW SOON!